Friday, January 9, 2009

My Favorite Tradition


Christmas cards are definitely one of my favorite holiday traditions. I get so excited to check the mail everyday to see if there are any cards. I look forward to hearing from friends, especially the ones who only keep in touch through Christmas cards. I wish I was better at staying in touch with people throughout the year. I guess that's why I love to get the Christmas cards, it reminds me how much I miss people and how grateful I am for the part they have had in my life. Every year I get a card from Bishop Anderson. He was my bishop at BYU for a couple of years. He interviewed my for my mission papers and was a part of that transistion in my life. He is an amazing person and I feel so blessed to have crossed paths with him. He wrote to me on my mission and still, 19 years since I was in his ward, sends me a Christmas card every year. My mission president, Pres. Walker and his wife still send a card every year too, 16 years! As I look at my door this year I realized that the people's faces I see are really my life long friends. A few friends from high school, a few friends from BYU, a mission companion, an investigator, and a couple of my current neighbors. My card list changes a little bit every year. I have moved around a lot and made friends wherever I went. I have figured out how to tell who really cared about me and valued my friendship, I look at my Christmas card door. I mailed 65 cards this year, I only have 25 on my door. This is how my list changes every year. If I haven't heard from someone (card, email, phone call, etc..) in two years then I take them off my list. I figure if they care about me then they would try to keep in touch too.

My friends and family are my greatest blessing. I love to get cards at Christmas and hear from all of the special people that have blessed my life.

3 comments:

Sant Family said...

I LOVE to get Christmas cards, too! I usually send about 100 and get 65 or so back. This year I only got 40. I think it was a bad year for a lot of people. I want to cut the chain if I don't get a card for a few years, but Larry always says, "Don't be the link that broke the chain." Easy for him to say, since he doesn't address them!

I still get a Christmas card from my mission president and two of his daughters, I just LOVE them!

I am SO happy to see that we made it to your wall!

Joanna said...

Hey! I was gonna blog about my Christmas cards too! I love them and definitely check the mail more often in Dec. Yours always turn out SOO cute! I'm grateful we've been friends for so long! I think you're awesome!

Missy said...

I see ours on there! But we're family so I don't think you'd ever cut us off! ;)
I love getting Christmas cards too!