Well it's been a week since Connor's surgery and it seems like much longer than that! He still has his I.V. in. We have spent 4-6 hours everyday over at the hospital so that Connor can get fluids, pain meds and antibiotics through his I.V. This might be a boring post for most but I use this blog as a journal and I want to write down some things about this experience so I can share it with Connor someday.
Connor stopped talking a couple of days ago. He has tried to communicated by pointing at things but when that doesn't work he gets mad and moans and grunts at us. Trying to get him to drink anything has been impossible. Finally today he is turning the corner! We didn't go to the hospital today because he drank enough. He even got desperate enough to eat that he had some toast (4 peices!). One funny thing that he has been doing the past couple of day is carrying around food that he wishes he could eat! I made rice crispy treats and he was so mad that he couldn't eat them! So I put one in a baggie and he carried it around all day, even while we were at the hospital. We had sloppy joes last night and he cried because he wanted to eat one. I told him that he couldn't but he still wanted to try. I was right, he couldn't. So he put it on the couch next to him for the rest of the night. It was so sad.
We have been giving him Demoral for pain through his I.V. I think he could easily become a drug addict, which is scary. He asks for more medicine "in his arm" every half hour or so. He doesn't understand why he has to wait for more. He thinks because it hurts he should be able to get more whenever he wants. So I have had to get good at putting him off for a couple of hours. Try that! Putting off a whining, begging four year old for two hours. I am about to lose it mentally. I feel like running away but I know that I can't. Fortunately he is finally starting to do a little better so I can see that it will eventually be over! I knew that this experience was not going to be fun but I didn't think that it would be as bad as it has been. I've never known of another kid that has had this bad of a recovery after getting their tonsils out. I can only pray that Connor will not need any other surgeries!!
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I am so sorry to hear how awful it's been for you. Luckily, it sounds like you can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'll be praying for you! Hang in there!
Post a Comment